Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 1

March 2nd. We wrecked. Looking back, I now remember. I remember not wanting to leave my parents house in Bakersfield. I clearly remember saying “Just to let you guys know I have a bad feeling about this” and everyone brushing off my gut reaction. I was sitting in the passenger side and Vik was in the back seat. We hit a tire in the road, and then a semi hit us. I remember Vikki repeating… “It doesn’t matter…were all ok.” But I knew we weren’t because I felt an increasingly large bump on the side of my head!

This is my last lucid memory until days after I woke up in the hospital. I’ve asked my family to help me fill in the events of the following days so that I can build a timeline of the event. This next part is from my sister Kate because the next week I don’t remember, all I can do is talk about my dreams during this time…

At 6:00 AM east coast time (3:00 AM in California) Vicky calls with troubling news. She told me that there was an accident but everyone was okay. Rikki was going to the hospital to get monitored because she had bumped her head. Vicky insisted that there was no need for alarm, Rikki was fine. I continued to get ready for work and left my apartment at 7:30. As soon as I got to work I started crying, Vicky assured me that she would let me know if there was any news. Dad called around 9:00 AM (I think) to tell me that they had to take Rikki into surgery. Again I asked if I needed to go home, but was told that she would be out and fine in a few hours. I left work because I was too upset and wanted to wait at home for any news. By the time I got home I had missed two calls and got on the phone with Vicky. The surgery was going well- half way through the nurse updated my family telling them that Rikki was fine. About an hour later Vicky got back on the phone and in her sobs I heard her mumble something about a coma. I asked if I needed to be there (although I was already packing my bag). She put Mom on the phone and I just said “Do I need to come?” through tears I heard my mom say “yes.” I called the airline and was out the door and on the plane in under two hours. I didn’t even need to ask Mark if he was coming because he started packing right away too.

I arrived at Bakersfield around 8 PM when visitor hours were closed. Mom brought me to the hospital at around 8:30 PM. Rikki was laying in bed with a respirator. She looked puffy. I asked two questions to the nurse. 1. Can I touch her? (yes) 2. Can she hear me? (It can’t hurt to talk). I grabbed her foot and hand (two areas that were exposed) and sat and talked with her. I stayed in the 2 visitor limited ICU, first with Vicky, next with Mom, and finally with Mark. At home nobody could sleep. We watched TV.


I had dreams about Kate being there, in my dreams she was taking care of me while I was involved in a weird brain science experiment. In my dreams my helmet turned on and logged the dreams you had while the scientists watched. In reality, my family was begging me to sleep. I was in trouble a lot for not sleeping and since I could not differentiate reality from my dreams, I thought it was because everyone was using me for my dreams. I made Kate ask nurses how to turn my helmet on and she did. I also hallucinated a lot. In both my dreams and real life.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. You are such a strong young lady. You are in all of our prayers. My family and I love you. Take care and keep us updated.

    Bless you,

    Tara Moe
    Highland, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe all that you have been through in the last couple weeks. I have been following your recovery thus far and have be continually blown away by how strong you are and how you seem downright determined to be back to your old self in no time!!! You are an inspiration, and a role model for women every where teaching them how to be strong, and brave. I will continue following your recovery, knowing it will be a fast and miraculous one. I hope you feel well enough to keep us updated throughout the next few weeks and months.

    Sending you all the love and positivity in the world.
    Meagan M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god! It read very scared, we all feared for Ricky, and the first day I organized at the local church (Holy Trinity), a sacred service, all night, the Holy Father prayed for Ricky, but frankly he did not understand why he prays for a foreign girl and the more I do not know you, but after much discussion he agreed. Ricky thousands of people around the world prayed for you, but most importantly that your family was with you and other people who were praying for you and your family had their shields behind your backs, and I am sure that I will say this to all people, we are happy that you are getting better, and we mentally with you until you recover fully ...

    Katerina.M.
    Russia, Siberia

    ReplyDelete
  4. that picture up there scares me like hell!! and it makes me sad.. :( i love you rik!! more than everything! and i will donate as much as i can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Prayer for Rikki, Also on Myspace

    Dearest father in Heaven, you know what happend to Rikki and Vikki Thank you That Vikki is doing well by your grace.. and i pray that your mercy also will be on Rikki, i pray that you give the doctors wisdom to help Rikki beacause you and only you, are the only hope in this world and situation...
    I Pray that you keep Rikki & Vikki and the whole Family, and that they wil know you and your will in there life's
    In Jezus name Amen.
    Big hug Vikki and Rikki
    Darryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here Holland,rikki you are strong you can do it.Take care.With love from Holland for all of you,Alie (holland)kiss for you 2

    ReplyDelete